26 Jul 2007

Flower Fest - V for Vicia sativa (Common Vetch)


Another flower that I found growing, un-welcomed, on the sidewalk outside my house, is my entry for V. Common vetch, as Vicia sativa is commonly called, is a weed that grows on roadsides and fields. It is a small plant with attractive purple-pink flowers from the pea family.

I find the delicate plant beautiful to look at and love the tiny flowers. The leaves are a lovely shade of green growing on stems that taper off into tendrils. The flowers bloom from April to August and are very attractive to bees and butterflies.

This is my entry for the letter V at Flower Fest
Flower Fest - the A-Z of Flowers

3 comments:

Kalyan Panja said...

WoW...Some really captured shots!

Kalyan Panja said...

Oops...missed the word 'beautifully'.

shilpa said...

kalyan, thanks a lot! You have so many blogs, I need to explore them all. I just glanced through the Calcutta and Darjeeling ones and enjoyed seeing the great pictures.